Help Build the Factory
Word Factory promotes writers and a love of the short story through a year-long programme of live classes, literary salons, regular short story club and other events – shared to a growing audience on our website, social media pages, Vimeo and other channels. We work with leading UK and international authors, focussing on quality, learning and enjoyment, developing talent wherever we find it.
Building new platforms for work to be seen and heard and curating exciting, themed events has made us the leading short story organisation in the UK. Our renowned Apprentice Scheme allows us to mentor emerging authors – work supported by the Friends of the Word Factory and Patrons.
The team is made up of writers, many working with us as volunteers in exchange for access to our bespoke literary events and to a supportive community of supportive, active, aspiring authors. Founded by journalist and poet Cathy Galvin in 2013, the Word Factory was conceived as a movement that would bring writers together in a convivial setting to inspire each other; to appreciate great literature and foster new work.
“The Word Factory is about learning through relationships that stretch far beyond a single event,” says Galvin.
Our mission to promote and support quality work and authors has had funding from Arts Council England. Other partners, including Waterstones, continue to offer vital support to the organisation.
DO YOU WANT TO BECOME PART OF OUR STORY?
- You can become a Friend or Fellow here.
- From time to time, the team needs new volunteers. Word Factory has a dynamic volunteer community who inspire our work and help us at events, online – interviewing, helping writers and engaging with the full range of our activities. If you love the short story and have a skill you believe will add to what we can offer others, please feel free to ask questions and contact us by emailing our managing editor Alison Hitchcock: Alison@thewordfactory.tv
- If you want to support our mentoring of talent from across the UK community, please look at our Apprentice Scheme and consider making a donation via PayPal – No amount too small!
- Advertise. We will consider advertising via our monthly newsletter and invites, reaching thousands of discerning lovers of literature. For further information contact our Director, Cathy Galvin: Cathy@thewordfactory.tv
- Join Us By enjoying this site and telling other people about our activities you are already part of the Word Factory and we welcome all thoughts on our future development. Please share what we are doing with friends on Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites. and ensure you are kept informed by registering your email address here.
Thank you for becoming part of our story.
Editor, The Word Factory